Top Medical Colleges in India
Medical education in India has a deep-rooted tradition and is still worth considering, despite the hard competition. India is envisioned to become a successful medical destination for students who tend to choose top medical colleges in India. Moreover, the medical colleges that we have listed have been compiled following due diligence research and based on the NIRF ranking for 2023. There are 681 medical colleges in India, 355 of them are government and the rest are private and deemed universities. And, all of these medical colleges and universities provide more than 90,000 medical seats in India.
We have compiled all the medical institutes on basic criteria that any medical aspirant look for -
- Infrastructure and faculty
- Clinical exposure
- Ranking of colleges
- Hostel life
- Food facility and security of students
- Environment around the University
These are several factors that can contribute to making a medical institute one of the best MBBS colleges. In our list of Best MBBS Colleges in India, we have included all the characteristics one looks for when selecting one for himself. We have meticulously organized all medical colleges government and private too.
Number one on our list is, -
AIIMS name is enough to tell how prestigious this medical institute is, every year more than 3 lakh students opt for AIIMS. There are 20 AIIMS in India offering 1207 medical seats. Among them, AIIMS Delhi is globally recognized and has constantly secured rank 1 in the NIRF rankings. AIIMS Delhi offers degrees in 43 disciplines and operates under the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare. The total capacity of beds is 2500, and currently, 19 campuses are functional.
Key Points of AIIMS Delhi -
Bachelor of Optometry, MBBS, Bachelor of Surgery, and Medicine, and more.
The competition to secure admission to AIIMS is intense due to its high reputation. However, if you manage to secure one of the MBBS seats offered by AIIMS across the country, you will have the opportunity to study in one of the most prestigious medical colleges in the world.
Second on our list is,
Maulana Azad Medical College, Delhi
A humble beginning was made by Maulana Azad Medical Institute in 1958. This medical college is the epitome of excellence and a symbol of High education standard.
The Maulana Azad Medical College, is a Delhi based Government medical college and it is one of the most famous medical colleges in INDIA. IT has an extensive campus spread over 122 acres and has "2800 hospital beds and 7000 outpatient attendances daily" MAMC is a good medical institute to study medicine. The number of applicants apply for this university is higher than any other institutes. The competition for medical seats is fierce among students.
Established in -
This medical college is named after a renowned education minister and aims to provide thorough training to its students while instilling ethical values, in order to create competent healthcare professionals.
Third on our list is,
Christian Medical College, Vellore
CMC came into existence in 1900 and is located in Tamil Nadu, this medical college has consistently secured a position among the top-ranked MBBS colleges in India, owing to its exceptional academic standards, and infrastructure. CMC, Vellore ranked second among the medical colleges in India by India Today 2020. Additionally, CMC boasts six campuses that house a primary, secondary, and quaternary teaching hospital, providing a total of 3844 beds for its patients.
Service at CMC, Vellore -
- 8800 staff, 1528 doctors, and 2400 nurses. CMC, Vellore has an extensive team of dedicated healthcare professionals to cater to its diverse range of specialized services.
MBBS, B.Sc., and Nursing Programme
106 including ICU and HDU
Many patients daily
Fourth on our list is,
Postgraduate Institute of Medical Education and Research [PGIMER], Chandigarh
PGIMER can certainly be considered one of the Top Medical colleges in India owing to its premium services, state-of-the-art infrastructure, and highly disciplined faculty. Every year more than 20000 students appear to confirm their admission in the competitive exam held by PGIMER. But only 1% to 2% make it to the final list, which showcases the demand for this medical college. PGIMER (Postgraduate Institute of Medical Education and Research) in Chandigarh is an independent institution and deemed university that provides top-quality tertiary healthcare services with a focus on excellence.
- It has an Emergency Service unit with 110 beds, Advance Trauma Centre with 100 beds, Advanced Pediatric Centre with a 243-bed hospital, an advanced cardiac center with a 250-bed hospital, an Advanced Eye center with a 100-bed hospital, and 5 operation hospitals.
The institute strives to provide exceptional healthcare opportunities to its patients while maintaining the highest standards of professionalism and ethical conduct. The foundation stone of PGIMER was laid by the then P.M of India Pt. Jawahar Lal Nehru.
Key Highlights -
- Library - The name of the library of PGIMER is Dr. Tulsi Das Library which was established in 1962, currently stocked with 45,696 books and 414 international journals.
- Hostel at PGIMER - This college hostel has 800 rooms. In addition to this, there are also separate guest rooms in each hostel.
There are not only students that have the living facility, also women working in this college have the provision to stay. With the total number of rooms, the hostel has the capacity to accommodate 105 women with 73 single seater and 16 double seater rooms.
- Mess facility - Currently, this college has 3 running mess facilities that are providing hygienic foods to students.
- Major Health Facility - New OPD block has been opened with the 6 minor hospitals with the capacity to handle 10000 patients a day.
Average daily inpatient census
949 Bedded Hospital
Attraction Point -
One of the top reasons to consider this medical college is the outstanding clinical exposure it offers. Students will be exposed to a diverse group of patients.
The Jawaharlal Institute of Postgraduate Medical Education and Research (JIPMER) is one of the oldest and most reputable MBBS colleges in India. JIPMER was established by the French and then in 2008, it became an institute of national importance under the Ministry of Health Family and Welfare. The campus size of JIPMER spreads across 192 acres and consists of -
- 1 academic block
- 7 hospital blocks
- 7 accessory service buildings
- 4 residential complexes
The best part about JIPMER is that it is providing all the specialized medical courses from undergraduate to super specialty & sub-specialties.
- Library - There is a total of 75k books and additional membership cards for students belonging to SC/ST students, which has a long extended duration.
- Hospitals - JIPMER currently has total bed strength of 2059 that has several inpatient wings in addition to a super specialty block, emergency health service, and regional cancer center.
With an attendance of more than 5000 patients daily, it is evident that the college's medical staff and infrastructure are capable of managing a large number of patients effectively. The liver transplant in JIPMER, Pondicherry is one of the cheapest in India at 5 lakhs only. Whereas in the other corporate hospital, it takes around 25 lakh rupees.
Sixth on our list is,
St. John national academy of health sciences, Karnataka
St. John medical college was established by the Catholic Bishops Conference of India established in 1963 with the vision to provide healthcare facilities for the marginalized section of society. The Outlook media magazine has ranked St. John’s Medical College as the 4th best medical college in India for the year 2017. This medical College's 132-acre campus is a testament to the institution's commitment to providing its students with a world-class medical education. The campus is thoughtfully designed to accommodate a wide range of medical facilities.
- Hospital - The hospital began functioning in 1975 with just a few hundred beds but in the present scenario, there are a total number of beds in this medical college of 1350 beds.
- Library - The library is a dedicated building on the college's campus. With a range of 41,959 books covering various medical disciplines. The library at St. John College is open for an impressive 14 hours during weekdays, ensuring that students have ample time to utilize its resources. On Saturdays, the library is open for 12 hours.
Key Highlights -
UG and PG medical
Departments at hospital
Hotel rooms for Boys
Hotel Rooms for Girls
- MBBS seats - St. John University is affiliated with the Rajiv Gandhi University of Health Sciences, and annual intake of MBBS is 150.
- Auditorium - Dispersed throughout the sprawling land cover.
- The green campus has 4 auditoriums with seating capacity of 200 to 1000.
- Hostel Facilities - Multiple hostels are available in this medical college that are available as per the need of students -
- Single sharing, Double sharing, Four sharing and Eight sharing.
This medical college is on our list because of the student-oriented study and facilities. We found this college fascinating and worth mentioning in our list of Top Medical Colleges in India.
Seventh on our list,
King George’s Medical University (KGMU)
King George’s Medical university is situated in the city of Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh. The campus is spread over 1 lakh square meters, and this college is well connected with the city’s major roads, and the nearest railway station is Charbagh Railway Station. The main highlight of this medical school is the wide array of courses that includes - MBBS, MD/MS, DM cardiology, M.CH neurology, B.sc, and M.sc nursing, etc.
- Hostel - There are 3 hostels for boys in this college that are pursuing UG course, -
- New C.V - 83 rooms double seated.
- Old C.V - 87 rooms double seated.
- SP Hostel - 285 rooms double/single seated
All these hostels are available with sports facilities for outdoor and indoor sports such as - Table tennis, a Swimming pool, and a Gymnasium. In 2015, KGMU, U.P started offering a B.Sc. nursing program, and currently has 100 seats for the undergraduate program and 25 seats for the postgraduate M.Sc. program. For postgraduate students, there are 3 hostels that provide 205 rooms with essential features and athletic amenities.
- Courses - KGMU offers different types of programs including undergraduate, postgraduate, diploma, certification, and research programs.
- Library - The central library has a collection of 44830 books and 29400 bound volumes, 1126- e-journals not just this, there is a vast collection of books. Not just this, the library is automated with online management software that helps in finding books and issues easily.
Key Highlights -
Number of beds
Number of diploma courses
Eight on our list,
Aligarh Muslim University, Uttar Pradesh
In the 2021 NIRF India ranking, AMU has achieved a position among the top ten medical universities. Additionally, AMU has been listed for the second consecutive year in the 2021 ARWU which is also known as the Shanghai ranking, which includes only 14 best medical colleges in India.
- Faculties - The faculty of medicine has two colleges -
- Jawaharlal Nehru Medical College
- Dr. Ziauddin Ahmad Dental Colleg
Faculty offers the following undergraduate/postgraduate medical courses such as -
- Master of Chemistry (Plastic Surgery)
- B.Sc. radiotherapy
The faculty at the institution comprises 240 teachers who have exceptional academic accomplishments, with a majority of them having three decades of experience. They also serve as MCI inspectors.
- Library - In the beginning, medical colleges had a limited number of books and staff. However, over time, the library has made significant progress, and presently, it houses a collection of over fifty thousand books and a hundred national and international printed journals.
- Campus - The campus is spread over 467 acres of area, and offers more than 300 courses. AMU has been a major attraction and gives top-notch education in various departments.
- Hospital - The bed strength of Jawahar Lal Nehru Medical College is 1269 beds in tertiary care hospital,
Ninth on our list is,
M.S Ramaiah Medical College
Founded in 1984 M.S Ramaiah Medical College represents the two strong pillars of society which are education and health. The availability of all essential facilities in this medical college has contributed to it being a top choice. Moreover, this medical college has ranked 16th among all top medical colleges in India (By India Today Magazine). The total inclusion of MBBS seats is 150. The institution provides degree programs in various medical fields such as MBBS, MD, and MS in all specializations, DM and MCH in super specializations, as well as PG Diploma and Ph.D.
- Hostel - The 70 acres of campus have enough facilities that make it one of the top choices for medical college. There is also the Swsthya Marg inside the college’s campus that has an availability of a variety of foods.
Additionally, the hostel has the facility for accommodation of girls and boys hostel that currently reside 680 girls and 310 boys.
- Library -A book repository occupying an area of 46,000 square feet is available for use by both students and residents/staff. This facility is stocked with a vast collection of books and bound volumes.
- 712 indexed national and international journals.
- 62 computers with the availability of printing and scanning.
- Moreover, this medical college has 21,807 books.
- Hospital - Being a top technical hospital, it has several advanced specialty departments that aid in the accurate diagnosis of patients. At present, the hospital has a total of 1331 beds, which provide advanced super specialty diagnostic facilities.
Tenth on our list is,
AIIMS, Rishikesh is an institute that provides MBBS study amidst the lush green environment between the mountains. This medical institute is located in Uttrakhand, India. This medical institute was inaugurated in 2014. The environment in this medical institute is vibrant and energetic. The MBBS intake is 125 students per year, and it has 100 students per year for nursing college. The Nursing College in AIIMS Rishikesh was established in 2013, and the first batch for nursing was adopted in the month of July 2013. Presently, the college is running B.SC and M.SC in Nursing.
Key Highlight -
M.SC Nursing seats
- Hospital - Over 200 faculty members mentor the activities in these hospitals, which now offer 91 specialized clinics in addition to their regular outpatient clinics.
The inpatient facility has grown from 200 beds in 2013 to a current capacity of 960 beds. The emergency services are now divided into separate trauma surgery and emergency medical services, which operate round-the-clock throughout the year.
With vast years of experience and a dedication to supporting students in their academic journey, MBBSInfo is one of the Best MBBS consultancies in India.